The Church Will Prevail!
In every historical period the Church has demonstrated her power to preach divine truths to the world. But the consequences of mistakes and the reality of sin gives testimony to man’s weakness. The Church therefore, could have collapsed at least four different times in her long history if not for divine grace watching over her.
- At the very beginning, Rome tried to destroy the nascent Church with unspeakable tortures and hundreds of years of persecutions. In spite of this the Church grew stronger and eventually Rome herself was converted.
- Approximately 500 years later, the barbarians sacked Rome and the early Church faced grave danger and complete destruction. Danger became opportunity and the various barbarian tribes converted to Christianity as well.
- 500 years later, the great schism between the Church and the Eastern Orthodox (1054 a.d) took place creating a serious blow to the world-wide Church. Again, the Church survived and continued to expand.
- 500 years later, the Protestant revolt took place and the Church faced its most serious crisis in its 1,500 year history. The effects of this split is still with us. Again, however, the Church continued to expand especially in the new world.
- Today, approximately 500 years after the Protestant reformation, the dragon attacks the Church once more in the present scandals.
Do Not Despair!
Jesus himself told Peter:
“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”Matthew 16:18
The Holy Spirit protects the Church from fatal flaws and after correcting her mistakes, good and rebirth emerge from evil and temporary decline.
Glory be to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit!
Wendell Jean Pierre,